Museos y Exposiciones


Imagen de restos romanos

The Roman Theatre was discovered by chance in 1972 when work was begun on the construction of a new building in Verónica street.

The theatre, built in the 1st century, within the town fabric, stood out from the rest of the buildings as a point of reference in an essentially flat landscape. As time passed, the theatrical activity declined and during the second half of the 3rd century the building was looted for its materials which were then used to build the nearby city wall during a period of political instability.

The best-preserved archaeological remains from the subsequent stages are those which date from the Muslim epoch when, after several centuries of being used for different purposes, the growth of the medina brought with it the systematic occupation of this site by numerous dwellings, interconnected, by a labyrinth of streets and alleys.

During the 13th century, in the Christian epoch, the site on which the theatre had once stood was divided by a wall between the dwellings, separating the Jewish quarter from the rest of the city. It remained until 1492 when, after the expulsion of the Jews, squares were broadened and accesses to the quarter were gradually opened up.
In the 16th century the site witnessed the economic and social splendour of renaissance Zaragoza. Churches sprang up in the surrounding area and many important families had  residences built in this district, amongst which was the house of Gabriel Zaporta and that of Juan del Pueyo, the latter undergoing considerable rehabilitation work in 1868 when it belonged to the Guillén family, acquiring the nineteenth century appearance which, with some alterations in the 20th century, we can observe in the facade of this Museum.